Seiten

Samstag, 1. März 2014

How to learn a language once and for all: My Tandem Experience

A couple of months ago I decided to start learning French. Well, I had French at school and I remember I was able to have a conversation but that was long long ago and I don't remember a word. Mmm that's not true, I can understand French quite good but I cannot even say a proper "oh la la!"

I bought grammar books, novels, I joined internet courses, and I guess Emma didn't see any improvement, because she found me a TANDEM.

First, what the hell is a tandem? Some people have asked me if I had bought a bike with two seats...


That would be also great, and it's somehow related to this concept, but I meant I found a French-speaking person who wants to practice Spanish while he helps me with my French! (Emma is French and she is actually learning Spanish, but why we are totally unable to speak any other language than German with each other is part from another post...)

When you meet: whenever you have time for a coffee/beer
Where you meet: wherever, but I recommend a pub or cafeteria
How long you meet: so long as you like (2 hours?)
Price: for free!!! (or a couple of euros if you want something to drink)
How it works: you start a normal conversation or you prepare some topics, but it's important that you speak 50% of the time in one language and 50% in the other

It's a great method for learning a language and you may find good friends! I am really looking forward to meeting David (my tandem) again and see our improvements after some weeks!

Of course this tandem thing makes even more sense if you move to a new country and you need to learn the language and get to know people. You can easily find people looking for tandem partners in Facebook or language academies of your city.

1 Kommentar:

  1. Hi Rosa,
    Could you please provide websites/facebook pages where I can join these tandem language exchange groups. I have searched on Google and there are quite a few but don't know which one to start with.
    Thanks

    AntwortenLöschen